Saturday, April 30, 2011

Row Boat

I found this awesomely tacky little piece when I was was searching for the bins I mentioned in a previous post. I snagged it for $2.99! It just needed a little TLC.

After a couple of coats of primer it was ready for a paint job! I just used painter tape and taped off lines!



Thrift store Shelf : $2.99
Paint (Leftovers) : $0.00
Total $2.99

About 30 min of actual work, drying times not included.

Thursday, April 28, 2011


I have started work on a bookcase makeover. The only problem is I had no idea what I was going to put in the bookcase. I don't like clutter (AT ALL). So i decided I needed some sort of basket or bin. It is amazing how expensive they can sometimes get, so off to the thrift store I went. I happened upon these awesome bins! They are solid wood, which normally means it has great potential! All you need for this is to lightly sand it, a few coats of primer, and a topcoat. After it dried, I taped off a stripe, that I painted it with basic acrylic paint. After that it still looked plain, so I put my Silhouette to work!

Small Bin: $2.00
Large BIn: $3.00
Paint : $0.00
Total= $5.00!



Monday, April 25, 2011

Ceiling Compass

As much as I would have loved to hand paint a compass on the ceiling, I think the owners would have frowned upon that. So I chose a renter friendly option. I started out with some of this....

Foam board, can be found for $1.00 at a dollar store! I needed 2 for this project. I just laid out a basic pattern, and used an exacto knife to cut it out. After this it was just a matter of taping, and spray painting!

I just tacked it to the ceiling with small picture hanging nails.

Foam Board $2.00
Spray Paint ( Leftover) $0.00
Total -$2.00

Took about an hour.

Wednesday, April 20, 2011


When starting the baby room I knew I really wanted to have the same color scheme so I could combine the boys rooms. But, I wanted it to be a little more baby. I wanted lighter fabrics, that would make the room seem brighter, so I went to Joann's and found a woven cotton for an amazing price! After sewing the the stripes in one long piece, I cut them into four, one for each panel. After hemming all the edges, I went and put button holes every 5 inches across the top. I then took 14 inch pieces of rope, and looped it through them. I thought it really added character to an otherwise plain curtain.
Over all damage:

Woven Cotton 7 yards, $5.99 ( I had a 50% coupon) = $21.00
Rope Trim 6 spools, $1.99 ( On sale 50% off ) = $7.00
Ikea curtain rods, $1.99! = $4.00
Total = $32.00 for 4 custom curtain panels, and rods!

About 2 hours of work.

Monday, April 18, 2011

Lincoln's Room

My inspiration for Lincoln's room came from Wyatt's recent bed makeover. His bed was originally black, and I decided it would look much better white (See previous post). I absolutely love the change and decided the black crib needed a new paint job anyways. But just new paint was not enough... it needed a new look. I started with some bead board, that was cut out so that it would fit in the end caps. (Thanks Andrew!) Then I cut off the rounded top of the end caps, and put a 1x3 across the top with a piece of trim under that. From there it was a good sanding, 2 coats of primer, and a coat of top coat.

Primer (Leftover from Wyatt's bed) $0.00
Paint (Leftover from Wyatt's bed) $0.00
Trim $5.00
1x3 $5.00
Bead Board (2 sheets) $30.00
Total = $40.00



Stay tuned as I reveal more of his room!